Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for October 12, 2011
Litigation Section Executive Committee
Minutes for October 12, 2011
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
- Isaac Paxman
- Keith Call
- Jen Tomchak
- Sammi Anderson
- Patrick Burt
- Kent Holmberg
- Ryan Frazier
- Heather Thuet
- Nicole Farrell
- Dan Steele
- Alec McGinn
- Jon Hafen
- David Castleberry
- Richard Kaplan
- Heather Sneddon
- Nic Caine
- Judge Roth
- Seth Oxborrow
Executive Committee members excused were:
- Bryan Pattison
- Elaina Maragakis
- Patrick Tanner
1. Minutes: David Castleberry circulated minutes from the September 14, 2011 executive meeting, and the committee reviewed and approved the minutes as corrected.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Ryan Frazier was filling in for George Burbidge. We have not yet received money for annual dues. There are no significant concerns upcoming.
A. Quarterly Lunches - Ryan Frazier reported that the CLE went well, which focused on best discovery practices such as litigation hold letters and spoliation issues. Ryan thought the panel was well prepared. Alec
McGinn was at the event and was able to take pictures. Alec will prepare a recap of the event for inclusion in the next issue of the newsletter. Jon mentioned that, as a general practice, whoever is in charge of the event should also prepare a write up for the event and take pictures of the event.
B. Golf & CLE Events – Dan Steele was happy with the most recent Golf and CLE event held in St. George. Dan mentioned that registration tripled from 17 to 50 in the last few days before the seminar. The presentations were on the changes to the Utah Rules of Civil Procedure. Golf was at the Ledges. Dan thinks net loss for this Golf & CLE will be $200-$900, which will come under budget. The Utah County event was great as well, but Dan would have liked to see better attendance. The golf was at Fox Hollow, and the presentation was on insurance. The golf ended early because of lightning. Dan promised to get recaps of the events and send them to Nicole Farrell.
C. Fall Forum – Keith Call and the Fall Forum met with two groups on cross-examination. Judge Shaughnessy will present on the new rules in breakout sessions. Judge Keith is coordinating the breakout sessions.
D. Spring Convention – Alec McGinn said that there is a lot of interest in the new Utah Rules of Civil Procedure at this event. The committee is worried about overkill, but there is no question that a demand exists right now for more information about the new rules. It was mentioned to Alec that we should try to reserve our presentation slot for early on Friday during the convention.
4. Newsletter: Nicole Farrell said she has the format in place for the newsletter, and she would appreciate any comments. The deadline for submitting articles is October 18, 2011. Keith Call is working on the judicial profile for the newsletter, and Heather Sneddon is working on the Opinion Watch section. We will also try to have campus notes sections from our BYU and University of Utah representatives.
5. Law Student Relations Committee – Isaac Paxmann said he has received permission from the University of Utah to post unpublished papers on the section's website. We now have permission from BYU and the U of U. Nic Cain and Seth Oxborrow will be soliciting papers to add to the website.
6. Website Committee – Kent Holmberg e-mailed the latest report regarding the website. Jon Hafen mentioned that it would be helpful to have the report in a paper format at our meetings. With the changes to the Utah Rules of Civil Procedure coming soon, it was mentioned that it would be helpful to post an overview of changes on the section's website. Jon Hafen said he will find out if he can track down an outline from the rules committee.
7. 4th Quarter Events – Ryan Frazier will be in charge of the 4th quarter luncheon, which should be held the first or second week in December. Ryan mentioned that he may want to have the CLE focus on proportionality under the new Utah Rules of Civil Procedure. Jon Hafen would like to see a judge on the panel. Dan will be in
charge of the 4th quarter Rise and Shine CLE. Dan said that he would like to have a presentation on email management, or possibly on contingent fee issues.
8. Judicial District Reception – Isaac Paxmann will reach out to Randy Jeffs for the Fourth District reception. Isaac will talk to Randy and let us know what month to schedule it for in 2012. We should shoot to hold the Third District reception in January 2012, the Second District reception in March, and the Fourth District reception in May. We should try to hold these receptions at the courthouses.
9. Other Business – Government relations committee will meet once in December before the legislative session begins in January.
Adjourned at 8:55 a.m.
Next Meeting: November 9, 2011, 8:00 a.m.
For the Executive Committee
David Castleberry, Secretary