Feedback  |  Contact Us

Related Links

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes for May 11, 2011

PDF Version

Litigation Section Executive Committee
Minutes for May 11, 2011
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.

Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:

  • George Burbidge
  • Keith Call
  • David Castleberry
  • Nicole Farrell
  • Ryan Frazier
  • Randall Jeffs
  • Jon Hafen
  • Kent Holmberg
  • Wayne Klein
  • Alec McGinn
  • Bryan Pattison
  • Isaac Paxman
  • Judge Stephen Roth
  • Emily Smith
  • Dan Steele

Executive Committee members excused were:

  • Ted Ashton
  • Patrick Burt
  • Ryan Harris
  • Elaina Maragakis
  • Patrick Tanner

1. Minutes: George Burbidge circulated minutes from the April 13, 2010 meeting and they were approved.

2. Treasurer’s Report: Ryan Frazier circulated copies of the section’s financial report for March. Ryan noted that there are additional expenses for the law school awards we recently gave and these expenses were not included in the report. This year we have about $16,000 in equity above what we had at this time last year. Ryan agreed to find out how much the Bar will be assessing from our section and report back at our next meeting so that we know how much money we really have to work with.

3. President’s Report:
a. Mediator List – Patrick Burt was going to follow-up on this issue from our last meeting. Patrick was excused from the meeting today and did not have a report on this item. Dan will follow-up with Patrick and see if he can issue a report via email prior to our next meeting. Kent Holmberg asked Dan for a copy of the mediator list prepared by Mike Mohrman and Lynn Davies so that Kent could work with Lincoln to prepare it to post on our website and Dan agreed.

4. Law Student Relations Committee:
a. Research Topic Bank - Isaac Paxman reported that he sent out an email again this morning to our members soliciting topics for the topic bank and he has had a good response from practitioners submitting topics. Ted Ashton has been plugging the topic bank at the Quinney Law School. Isaac reported that so far nobody has claimed topics and we don’t know if anyone has utilized the topic bank to find a topic on which to write. We have about 100 topics on the topic bank. Discussed ideas about how to get more people to claim topics. Dan suggested we also get permission to publish law review articles on our website. Isaac explained that the purposes of the topic bank are to give law students ideas for research topics and second, establish a bank of research papers. Jon Hafen asked what incentive law students have for writing papers using our topics. Emily Smith suggested we contact in with the editors of the law journals at the law schools and encourage them to utilize these topics. Dan Steele said that his understanding was that this could be a forum for law students to publish in the Bar Journal and on our website. Dan said that if the topic bank does not generate articles that we can post on our website it probably is not worth our efforts. Jon Hafen pointed out that we offered financial incentives for writing competition winners in the past and it was not successful. Isaac reported that we have been plugging this at the law schools. It has been out since January, but many of the writing topics are selected in the fall, so we may see more students claiming topics in the fall. Dan suggested we get as many litigation related papers posted to our website as quickly as possible to enhance our website as a source for litigation related information.
b. Law School Trial Advocacy Awards – Isaac Paxman asked Ryan Frazier to issue checks for the Quinney Law School moot court competition winners.

5. Web Site Committee: Kent Holmberg reported that our section will not get direct control over posting information on our website calendar. In order to ensure that our events are posted on the website we need to email a notice of the event to Webmaster, Lincoln, Connie Howard and Megan Facer. Several committee members reported that they recently sent requests to have events posted on the calendar but the events were still not listed. Discussed whether to have one person responsible for getting this on our website calendar or have everyone responsible for seeing that the events they are in charge of get posted on the website. The discussion shifted without any motion or vote on this issue, but the consensus appeared to be that everyone would be responsible for getting their events on the calendar.

6. CLE Report:
a. Chat with the Chief Quarterly Luncheon, May 9th, 2011– Dan Steele reported that this was a very successful event. Chief Justice Durham discussed issues the courts face due to recent budget cuts and other issues. The event was well attended.
b. No-Shows at Quarterly Luncheons – Dan Steele reported that there were a few empty chairs at the last quarterly luncheon. The prior quarterly luncheon also had empty chairs and it was fully booked and people were turned away. Dan thinks the empty chairs are from people who register and don’t show up. Discussion about what to do about people who register for the free quarterly luncheons but then don’t show up. Jon Hafen will find out how many people register but then not attend these events and report next meeting so that we can determine the extent of the problem and decide how to address it.
c. CLE Subcommittee/Quarterly Luncheons – Jon Hafen asked who is taking over coordinating the quarterly luncheons from him. Dan Steele said that the CLE subcommittee needs to arrange to take this over from Jon. Jon said that he has a good topic that he would like to have addressed at a quarterly luncheon which he will discuss with Elaina. Dan said that the CLE subcommittee needs to meet monthly outside the executive committee meeting.
d. Southern Utah Federal Law Symposium – Jon Hafen reported that we are co-sponsoring this event on May 12 and 13. The number of people who have registered for this event is significantly higher than last year, although very few people have signed up to golf. Go figure. This event appears to be building momentum. Jon said he received an email thanking him for bringing good CLE down to Southern Utah.
e. Rise And Shine CLE – Dan Steele reported that our first Rise and Shine CLE will be at 8:00 a.m. on June 23, 2011, at Little America. The topic will be “Five Top Tips from Five Top Practitioners.” Emily Smith volunteered to get this event on our website calendar.
f. Summer Convention – Nicole Farrell reported there is nothing new and all is well. At this point, no news is good news.
g. Fall Forum - Keith Call reported our section has five breakout sessions. Three of these sessions will discuss the nuts and bolts and how-to of the new rules of civil procedure. John Lund will
talk for an hour on the topic, don’t be afraid of juries. Keith reported that they have not decided on the topic or speaker for the last breakout session and he invited suggestions. Keith will get Fall Forum on our website calendar.
h. Utah County Golf and CLE – The Utah County Golf & CLE will be on August 26, 2011. Randy Jeffs reported that he has contacting several potential venues. Dan Steele agreed to get this event posted on our website calendar.
i. Other Golf and CLE – Dan reported that he is trying to find who the chair of Cache County Bar is so that our committee can get a new representative from Cache County who can help us set up a golf and CLE event in Cache County. Dan has also been working with the Southern Utah Bar to arrange for a fall Golf and CLE event in St. George. Dan is also working on setting up a Salt Lake County Golf and CLE event. It makes one wonder what Dan does in the winter.

7. Other Business:
a. Judge Roth - commented on the new rules, reporting that he did about a dozen trials without any discovery and some of these trials involved experts. He thought they ended up about the same as they would have had there been discovery.
b. Utah Women Trailblazers in the Law - Nicole Farrell reported that she had been contacted by organizers of this event and asked if the Litigation Section was interested in sponsoring this event with a monetary donation or by buying a table at a dinner for this event. This organization is preparing a documentary on the first 100 women who were admitted to the Utah Bar. The donation would be used to find the women and record their stories. A motion was made that we donate $500 to sponsor this event. The motion was seconded and approved.
c. Annual Meeting and Elections - Jon Hafen noted that we will have elections for officers at our next meeting, which will also be our annual meeting. Anyone interested in running for secretary, treasurer or chair elect should let Dan and Jon know before the meeting. George Burbidge will coordinate with Dan Steele to send a notice of our annual meeting.
d. Benchbooks – Dan Steele requested reports on benchbooks at our next meeting.

Adjourned at 9:05.
Next Meeting: June 8, 2011, 8:00 a.m.

For the Executive Committee
/s/_____________________________
George W. Burbidge II, Secretary