Feedback  |  Contact Us

Related Links

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes for March 9, 2011

PDF Version

Litigation Section Executive Committee
Minutes for March 9, 2011
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.

Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:

  • Ted Ashton
  • George Burbidge
  • Keith Call
  • Elaina Maragakis
  • Alec McGinn
  • Seth Oxborrow
  • Bryan Pattison
  • Isaac Paxman
  • Judge Stephen Roth
  • Emily Smith
  • Dan Steele
  • Patrick Tanner

Executive Committee members excused were:

  • Patrick Burt
  • David Castleberry
  • Ryan Frazier
  • Jon Hafen
  • Kent Holmberg
  • Randall Jeffs
  • Wayne Klein
  • Judge Denise Lindberg

Christian Clinger, Utah Bar Commissioner, was also present.

1. Minutes: George Burbidge circulated minutes from the February 9, 2010 meeting. Dan Steele gave the committee time to read the minutes right there at the meeting because they were just that good. Minutes were approved as corrected.

2. Treasurer’s Report: Ryan Frazier was excused from the meeting. Prior to the meeting he circulated an email with a financial report for January. Further discussion was deferred until our next meeting.

3. President’s Report:
a. Quarterly Newsletter – Dan Steele reported that he emailed the quarterly newsletter to the section’s members last week. In the newsletter he reported on our section’s efforts to increase the number of low-cost CLE events that we offer. He also plugged the litigation section breakout sessions at the spring and annual conventions.
b. Bench Book Assignments – Dan Steele reported that he still needed volunteers for this assignment. We would like to have attorneys from around the state on this subcommittee so that we can have someone assigned to each judicial district. Patrick Tanner volunteered to head this subcommittee and to take responsibility for the Third District and Dan accepted his offer. Bryan Pattison agreed to take responsibility for the Fifth and Sixth districts. Christian Klinger noted that the districts have different policies for such things as scanning and retaining documents. Part of the bench books should include local rules for each district regarding scanning submissions, faxing, courtesy copies, etc. Patrick Tanner and Bryan Pattison agreed to report at the next meeting about their efforts to contact court clerks to obtain local rules and policies from each district and which judges do not have bench books. Dan Steele agreed to follow-up with efforts to find representatives for the First and Second Districts and report back at our next meeting.

4. Law Student Relations Committee:
a. Research Topic Bank - Isaac Paxman reported that the topic bank was launched last month. Our web site shows there has been interest, but so far few subjects have been claimed by students. Seth Oxborrow reported there was a spike in views on February 7th, which corresponds with an announcement that was sent to students. Ted Ashton reported that he spoke with the professor at the University of Utah who is responsible for the 1-L write-on competition about using the topic bank. Isaac said we are still receiving research topics.
b. Law School Trial Advocacy Awards – Isaac Paxman reported that he was moving forward with law school trial advocacy awards our section is giving to students from the University of Utah and BYU. Ted Ashton agreed to find out if the University of Utah had an awards ceremony where we could present our award.

5. Web Site Committee: Kent Holmberg was excused, but sent an email prior to the meeting showing visits to our site. Patrick Burt was also excused, but prior to the meeting he reported via email that he ordered post-it notes with our website. Discussion about handing them out at the spring convention.

6. CLE Report:
a. CLE Subcommittee – Elaina Maragakis reported that the CLE subcommittee met and decided to add a CLE event in months where our section is not sponsoring other CLE events. This will be around four additional events per year. These will be “Rise and Shine” CLE events which will take place in the morning before work. Emily Smith will prepare a survey that we can use to solicit feedback from our members. The first Rise and Shine CLE event will be offered in April. It will be “Tips from 5 practitioners” where five practitioners give short practice tips. Other events will be held in June and September, but those dates have not been set due to the golf and CLE events. Elaina noted that the cost of these events will be largely passing on the cost of food. Dan noted that our goal is for these events to be revenue neutral or to be only a small loss to the section. Our goal is to offer more low-cost CLE to our members.
b. Spring Convention – Dan reported this event is ready to go.
c. Summer Convention – no report.
d. Fall Forum - Keith Call has agreed to represent our section on the Fall Forum committee.
e. Website – Dan again stressed the need to get all of the CLE and other events our section sponsors posted on our website and to get them on the website as early as possible .

7. Other Business: None.

Adjourned at 8:30. This meeting let out early to make up for the last two meetings that went late.
Next Meeting: April 13, 2011, 8:00 a.m.

For the Executive Committee
/s/_____________________________
George W. Burbidge II, Secretary