Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for January 13, 2010
Litigation Section Executive Committee
Minutes for January 13, 2010
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
- Sammi Anderson
- George Burbidge
- Keith Call
- Nicole Farrell
- Ryan Frazier
- Jon Hafen
- Brian Hansen
- Ryan Harris
- Kent Holmberg
- Randall Jeffs
- Wayne Klein
- Judge Denise Lindberg
- Elaina Maragakis
- Isaac Paxman
- Dan Steele
- Patrick Tanner
Executive Committee members excused were:
- Bryan Pattison
1. Minutes: Minutes of the December 9, 2009 meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Ryan Frazier provided November’s financial records which showed little change from the prior month.
3. Chair’s Report:
a. Welcome to Nicole Farrell: Nicole Farrell kindly accepted our invitation to join the Executive Committee and was introduced by Wayne Klein.
b. Court Volunteer Pilot Program: Wayne Klein reported that the Judicial Council approved a pilot program to place underemployed attorneys in volunteer positions at the courts. We are at the point where we need to begin recruiting attorney volunteers to participate. The Bar’s publicity people suggested that we place some volunteers before we do a press release so that participants can be interviewed as part of the press release. The committee discussed ways to avoid creating the impression that the pilot program is a substitute for paid legal clerks. Wayne Klein reiterated that this is a pilot program and is a temporary measure responsive to the current economic situation.
i. A motion was made to contact the deans and career service offices at the two Utah law schools to see if they would be willing to assist with the first step of the roll out of the pilot program by letting graduates know of this opportunity. The pilot program will then be rolled out to the general Bar membership in a low-key manner. Once the pilot program is underway we will reevaluate issuing a press release and publicizing the pilot program further. The motion was seconded and unanimously approved.
ii. Judge Lindberg will be meeting with the dean of the BYU law school today and will address the pilot program with him. Isaac Paxman agreed to contact the deans and career services offices from both schools and have a response from them within two weeks. Nicole Farrell and Wayne
Klein will follow-up with getting the program details and application on the section’s website.
c. Legislative Session Reminder: Wayne Klein reminded the Committee that if any member of the Bar appears before the legislature, they are to make explicit that they do not speak in behalf of the Bar or of the Litigation Section. Any member of the Litigation Section who appears before the legislature on behalf of the Section must first obtain approval from the Bar and the Section and must make explicit to the legislature that he or she is speaking on behalf of the Section only, and not the Bar.
4. CLE Committee:
a. Quarterly Luncheon: Jon Hafen reported that the December quarterly luncheon, a panel of judges speaking about legal writing, was well received and was filled to capacity. He is working on a luncheon discussing judicial performance evaluations. He is trying to set up a panel of judges. Judge Lindberg suggested he contact judges that sit on the Judicial Evaluation Commission and agreed to provide contact information for him. A suggestion was also made to have a former judge, perhaps Tim Hansen, on the panel. Jon Hafen is trying to set the luncheon for February 18th, but it may be pushed back depending on the availability of the panelists. He will send an email when the date is fixed. Jon Hafen also reported that he is working on Judge Durham speak on the state of the judiciary in May.
b. Spring Convention: Kent Holmgren reported that everything is in place for the spring convention.
c. Annual Convention: Sammi Anderson described the keynote speakers that have agreed to speak at the annual convention.
5. Web Site Committee: Kent Holmberg reported that traffic to our website was down in December, as expected. Sammi Anderson reported that she has followed up via email and handwritten note with every lead for advertisers that has been passed on to her. One in particular appears ready to sign up as soon as some details are worked out.
6. Law Student Relations Committee: Isaac Paxman reported that he has obtain approval from the University of Utah for the law student research project. He has written up the email announcement as well as a full description and FAQ section for the website. He is now trying to solicit research topics that can be posted so that when people go to the website they will see research topics that have already been posted rather than a blank page. Isaac Paxman solicited research topics from the committee members.
7. Bench Book Committee: Ryan Harris reported that Judge Maughn turned in his bench book. He has also had several other judges ask for electronic copies of the form but they have not sent them back yet.
8. Other Committees: No other committees had new information to report and no other business was brought before the committee.
9. Meeting Adjourned: at 8:55 a.m.
10. Next Meeting: February 10, 2010 at 8:00 a.m. The call-in number for those who are unable to attend in person is: 1-800-442-5794. Wait a relatively long time for the beep, then enter pass code 2708#.
Approved February 10, 2010.
For the Executive Committee
George W. Burbidge II