Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for February 10, 2010
Litigation Section Executive Committee
Minutes for February 10, 2010
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
- Sammi Anderson
- George Burbidge
- Keith Call
- David Castleberry
- Nicole Farrell
- Ryan Frazier
- Jon Hafen
- Brian Hansen
- Ryan Harris
- Kent Holmberg
- Randall Jeffs
- Wayne Klein
- Bryan Pattison
- Isaac Paxman
- Dan Steele
Executive Committee members excused were:
- Gary Anderson
- Tom Boyle
- Judge Denise Lindberg
- Elaina Maragakis
- Patrick Tanner
1. Minutes: Minutes of the January 13, 2010 meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Ryan Frazier provided the December 31, 2009 balance sheet for the Section and itemized expenditures for December 2009 which were reviewed. A comment was made that we need to have Jon Hafen follow-up with the FBA about reimbursement for the Golf and CLE in St. George.
3. Chair’s Report:
a. Update on Volunteers in Court Program – Wayne Klein reported this has been officially released. The Bar sent an email to all members of the Bar last Monday with a brief summary prepared by Nicole Farrell. Four or five people have called with questions and four completed applications had been received as of the end of the day February 9, 2010.
i. We have been allocated a page for next month’s Bar Journal. Nicole has written a full-page article about this program for the Utah Bar Journal that has been submitted and approved. Nicole will email Christine to ask for a line in the article with the section’s website.
ii. Isaac report on contact with law school career offices. Both schools Career services said they like the idea and need to know what to do next. They will send information to their alum.
b. Request for Funding for a New Jury Video. Wayne Klein reported that the Section has received a request from the state courts for funding to produce new jury video “Selected to Serve.” A discussion was held about how to respond to this request for funding, including whether there is money in the budget to allocate to this. Questions were raised about the entire cost of the new video, the reason for making a new video and the
appropriateness of using membership dues to fund this request. The request for funding from “And Justice for All” was combined with this discussion. A motion was made that we approve expenditures of $250 each to the state courts to fund the jury video and to And Justice for All. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
c. Request for funding from “And Justice for All.” This item was discussed with the request for funding for the new jury video.
d. Franchise Section CLE. Wayne Klein reported that approval had been given to the Franchise Section to use our e-mail list to invite members to a February 10 CLE on franchise litigation.
4. CLE Committee:
a. Quarterly Luncheon: Jon Hafen reported that the next quarterly luncheon has been pushed back and will likely take place on March 3, 2010. He will circulate an email as soon as he has a firm date. He also reported that he is working on having Justice Durham speak in May.
b. Spring Convention: Kent Holmberg reported that everything is in place for the spring convention.
c. Annual Convention: Jon Hafen reported that our section will put on two breakout session, one on opening statements and the other on closing arguments. He is trying to get Judge Benson or another federal judge to act as our judge and we will have four practitioners present mock openings and closings.
d. Other upcoming CLE Events. Dan Steele asked if we have the same budget for Golf and CLE events in 2010 that we had in 2009. If so, he suggested we start calendaring those events. Dan will get the numbers from the events last year and make a proposal for golf and CLE events at our next meeting.
5. Web Site Committee: Kent Holmberg reported visits to the Section’s website were up in January to just over 1,000 per month. About half of the visits are to the bench books. He is working on getting the website updated to include the law student writing project and expects to have something up prior to our next meeting. Sammi Anderson reported that she is working on revising our model for advertising on the website.
6. Law Student Relations Committee: Isaac Paxman reported that we are waiting to get the law student writing project installed on the web page. He anticipated that this would happen soon.
7. Bench Book Committee: Ryan Harris reported that we have received a couple more bench books from judges. He agreed to send out a copy of the benchbook questions to the committee so that committee members can forward them to judges they know.
8. Electronic Filing Committee: Randy Jeffs reported that recently there was a luncheon in Utah County on electronic filing. Some of the attorneys who attended had concerns about differences between e-filing in state and federal courts.
9. Meeting Adjourned: at 8:45 a.m., believe it or not.
10. Next Meeting: March 10, 2010 at 8:00 a.m. The call-in number for those who are unable to attend in person is: 1-800-442-5794. Wait a relatively long time for the beep, then enter pass code 2708#.
Approved March 10, 2010.
For the Executive Committee
George W. Burbidge II