Feedback  |  Contact Us

Related Links

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes for September 12, 2007

The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.

PDF Version

Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:

  • Sammi Anderson
  • George Burbidge
  • Lee Curtis
  • Ryan Frazier
  • Jonathan Hafen
  • Ryan Harris
  • Wayne Klein
  • Elaina Maragakis
  • R. Willis Orton
  • Bryan Pattison
  • Isaac Paxman
  • Mike Petrogeorge
  • Dan Steele
  • Sarah Gubler (ex officio law school rep for BYU)
  • Tish Toombs (ex officio law school rep for U of U)

Executive Committee members excused were:

  • Jared R. Casper
  • Patrick Tanner

Guests present were:

  • Connie Howard

1. Minutes. The minutes of the August meeting were reviewed and approved.

2. Financial Report. Dan Steele led a discussion regarding the Committee’s finances. The detail requested by the Committee was not reflected in the financials for July 2007. Dan will request more detail from the Bar.

3. Utah County Golf CLE. Connie Howard and Dan Steele led a discussion regarding the Utah County Golf CLE and whether to continue as scheduled. Concerns were expressed that this event directly conflicted with two other litigation-related CLE events. After discussing the presenters and the number of registrants, the Committee decided to go forward with this event as scheduled.

4. Budget. The Committee decided to table a discussion regarding the budget discussion until the next meeting when the dues will be reflected on the Section’s financials.

5. Bar Commission’s Policy on Section Reports. Michael Petrogeorge led a discussion regarding the Bar’s policy on Section Reports. He explained that the Bar had requested that the Section make its bi-annual report. Mike will prepare a report based on the Committee’s minutes for the last two years.

6. Bar Leadership Training Update. Sammi Anderson gave a report on this training. This evolved into a discussion regarding how to involve attorneys from outside the Salt Lake Valley in the quarterly luncheons. The Committee discussed options such as telephonic participation, web casts, and video taping the luncheons.

7. Web Site Content. Sammi Anderson led a discussion regarding the content and appearance of the Section’s web site. Dan Steele will work with Sammi to improve the web site’s content and aesthetics. They will approach Brooke Bruno about making changes.

8. Minority Bar Association Annual Scholarship. Michael Petrogeorge led a discussion regarding whether the Section should be involved. The Committee decided to donate $500 for a table. In addition, Mike invited the individual members of the Committee to nominate scholarship candidates on their own.

9. Upcoming CLE Events.

(a) St. George CLE and Golf. This CLE event will be held on October 19, 2007 at the Ledges. The Committee discussed possible presenters, including Judge Nuffer. Jonathan Hafen agreed to approach him to determine his availability and willingness to participate. The Committee also discussed whether other presenters would be needed to fill the entire three hours.

(b) Evening with the Third District Judges. George Burbidge led a discussion regarding the Evening with the Third District. Judge Hilder, Judge Kouris, Judge Himonas, and Judge Lindberg will participate. Dinner will be held at approximately 5:00 p.m., followed by mingling before the CLE presentation.

(c) Fall Forum. George Burbidge explained that the section is will sponsor a judges’ panel discussion. Currently, Judge Skanchy and Judge Toomey will participate.

(d) Quarterly Luncheons. Jonathan Hafen led a discussion regarding the quarterly luncheons. Judge Nuffer and Mark Glick will make a presentation. The date for this event will be pushed back, possibly until the first week in December 2007. In addition, the Committee decided that a subcommittee for quarterly luncheons would be created and that Jonathan Hafen would head it. Elaina Maragakis and Ryan Frazier volunteered to serve on the quarterly luncheon subcommittee.

10. Appellate Section Request to Co-sponsor October 10, 2007 CLE Luncheon. The Committee agreed to approve a co-sponsorship capped in an amount of $500.

11. Law Student Relations.

(1) Michael Petrogeorge introduced Sarah Gubler, BYU’s law student representative to the Committee, who participated telephonically.

(2) Tish Toombs reported that she is looking for a law student to present a litigation topic at a CLE. She also led a discussion regarding the proposed web journal. Tish explained that a litigation-related article could first be printed in the Bar Journal and then placed on the web site. A discussion concerning the proposed program to assist third-year law student to prepare for the bar exam was tabled.

(3) Tish proposed a presentation to be made at a Career Services Center luncheon regarding litigation and the Section to engender interest in litigation. Mike Petrogeorge asked Tish to propose possible dates, which would be presented at the next meeting.

12. Young Lawyers Request to Co-sponsor a Debate Tournament. The Committee agreed to donate $750 to co-sponsor the debate tournament.

13. Bench Books. Ryan Harris reported that the Bench Books are continually being updated and improved. Information is added to the Bench Books as it comes in and judges are continually being added.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 a.m. The next meeting will be on October 10, 2007.

Dated this 10th day of October, 2007.

For the Executive Committee

/s/
Ryan Frazier
Secretary