Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for November 12, 2008
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, November 12, 2008, at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
- Sammi Anderson
- Tom Boyle
- George Burbidge
- Patrick Burt
- Keith Call
- Christian W. Clinger
- Ryan Frazier
- Jonathan Hafen
- Ryan Harris
- Connie Howard (visitor)
- Isaac Paxman
- Peter Schofield
- Dan Steele
- Ryan White (U of U Rep)
Executive Committee members excused were:
- Ryan Card (BYU Rep)
- David Castleberry
- Kent Holmberg
- Wayne Klein
- R. Willis Orton
- Bryan Pattison
- Patrick Tanner
1. Minutes. The minutes of the October 8, 2008 meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Financial Report. Dan Steele reported on the Section finances for August and September, 2008. Connie Howard of the Bar attended to discuss the missing details from the August financials with the Committee. The Committee asked Connie to see if she could provide more detail and to break out lump-sum charges that show up on the financials. The Committee decided to cancel the food for the Committee meetings to save money.
3. Section Website. Dan Steele reported that Justin Wilde, the individual retained to redesign the Section’s website, has prepared two or three mockups. He also reported the website subcommittee is attempting to schedule a meeting for the week after the Executive Committee meeting to view and discuss them. The Committee expressed interest in having Justin Wilde come to the Committee to make a presentation on the website proposals to the entire Executive Committee. The Section also approved submitting the receipts for the lunches for this project to be reimbursed.
4. Annual Bar Leadership Luncheon. Sammi Anderson reported on the Annual Bar Leadership Luncheon. She stated that the Bar is looking to put in place a mentoring program beginning 2009, which will be mandatory for all new attorneys. She invited the Executive Committee members to brainstorm ways in which the Section can support this program. She explained that the Section can assist in rounding up mentors. Mentors will receive 12 CLE credits for mentoring. Sammi will circulate information regarding what is required of mentors. Christian Clinger suggested that a presentation be made at a quarterly luncheon on this issue. He also explained that the Bar needs 400 to 600 mentors.
5. 1 L Reception. Sammi Anderson reported on the 1-L Law Student Reception. She reported that the reception was scheduled for November 13, 2008, and that everything was ready. She also reported that she, Steve Owens, Judge Hilder, and others will speak. She emphasized that Mike Petrogeorge and Elaina Maragakis should be recognized for their work putting this reception together.
6. Budget Report. The budget report was tabled until December. Sammi Anderson will circulate a document for discussion for the next calendar year budget.
7. Southern Utah Golf and CLE. Dan Steele reported that the speakers for this CLE event were Billy Walker of the OPC and Greg Sanders. He said that the materials were really good and that over 40 people attended. He recognized that the Section subsidized more than half of the cost and suggested that the Section should increase the cost to participants. He also recognized that the number of individuals golfing has declined. Sammi Anderson indicated that she wants to take up the Golf and CLE as part of the budget discussion in December.
8. Quarterly Luncheon. Jonathan Hafen reported on the most recent quarterly luncheon. The subject was civility and professionalism. He reported that the panel was comprised of Judge Bohling, Ellen Maycock, and Eric Johnson. He reported that there about 130 135 lawyers attended.
9. December 2 Quarterly Luncheon. Jonathan Hafen reported that the next quarterly luncheon will be a “step by step” presentation on how to e-file in state courts. Attorney staff will be invited but the Section will charge for their lunches. He explained that he expected this to be a capacity event.
10. Fall Forum. Jonathan Hafen reported that the Fall Forum will be a trial academy concept and that it is set to go. He also reported that the panel has worked very hard to put together a fact scenario. He also reported that Diane Banks and Cullen Battle will also participate on the panel.
11. 2009 Spring Convention. Sammi Anderson reported that Kent Holmberg could not attend and report on the Spring Convention. However, she reported that Kent has secured the first two breakouts which will be on courtroom procedures and tactics by Judge Hadfield and a second will be on Twombly regarding the Rule 12(b)(6) standard.
12. Annual Convention. Ryan Frazier reported on the annual convention. He explained that Dan Hindert had proposed a presentation on structured settlements. He also reported that he was looking for other possible subjects. It was suggested that rule changes might be a subject for a panel discussion involving Fran Wikstrom and Tim Shea.
13. CLE on Receivers. Sammi Anderson reported that to her knowledge the CLE is ready to go, but Wayne Klein, who is in charge of the CLE, was not present to give a report.
14. Clarence Darrow CLE. A discussion on this issue was tabled.
15. Executive Committee Resignations. Sammi Anderson reported that Lee Curtis and Bruce Badger have resigned from the Executive Committee.
16. Law School Relations. Isaac Paxman reported that he had met with Ryan Card, the BYU representative, regarding how to connect Section members and BYU students to collectively work on topics to possibly present at a CLE. Tom Lee from BYU wanted to make certain that members of the Bar wanted to participate before he invited law students to become involved.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:15 a.m. The next meeting will be held on December 10, 2008, and will commence at 7:30 a.m..
Dated this ___ day of December, 2008.
For the Executive Committee
Ryan B. Frazier