Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for November 14, 2007
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
- Sammi Anderson
- George Burbidge
- Keith Call
- Ryan Frazier
- Jonathan Haffen
- Ryan Harris
- Wayne Klein
- Elaina Maragakis
- Isaac Paxman
- Mike Petrogeorge
- Dan Steele
- Patrick Tanner
- Tish Toombs (ex officio law school rep for U of U)
Executive Committee members excused were:
- Bryan Pattison
- R. Willis Orton
1. Minutes. The minutes of the October meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Budget. Mike Petrogeorge updated the Committee on prior discussions regarding a proposed budget. Prior to the meeting, Wayne Klein suggested working with Jeff Einfeldt to improve the financial reporting to allow for better tracking of the Committee finances. Mike Petrogeorge reported that he would attempt to arrange a meeting with Jeff Einfeldt.
3. Section Reports to the Bar. Michael Petrogeorge led a discussion regarding the Section report. He stated that the report had been sent to the Bar. He also noted that he will send it to each of the individual Committee members.
4. Uniform Interstate Depositions and Discovery Act. Michael Petrogeorge led a discussion regarding the proposed Depositions and Discovery Act. He noted that he received comments from only a couple of Committee members. The Committee discussed reciprocity with other states. Mr. Petrogeorge noted that he had expressed his concerns about how the proposed law may interact with the unauthorized practice of law statute.
5. Proposed Co-Sponsorship of Appellate Section of CLE by Jeffrey Rosen. Mike Petrogeorge led a discussion regarding a proposed co-sponsorship of a CLE presentation by Jeffrey Rosen. He reported that Mr. Rosen was asking for $4,000 plus expenses. After discussing the matter, the Committee decided to authorize Sammi Anderson to attempt to confer with the Appellate Section regarding the possibility of using Mr. Rosen at the annual convention or, in the alternative, to contribute $1,500 toward the co-sponsorship with the possibility of using him in the future.
6. Financial Report. Dan Steele led a discussion regarding the Section’s finances. He reported that the Section has just over $66,000. The Committee also reviewed the income statements relating to the Utah County Golf and CLE and the St. George CLE and Golf events.
7. St. George CLE and Golf. Dan Steele reported that the St. George CLE and Golf had 40 registrants for the CLE and 12 golfers. He noted that many individuals simply “walked in” at the event.
8. Evening with the Third District. George Burbidge reported on the evening with the Third District. He explained that the panel gave insightful comments and that discussion went on for approximately two hours.
9. Upcoming CLE Events
(a) Fall Forum. George Burbidge explained to the section he is continuing to prepare for the judges panel discussion that the Section is sponsoring. He reported that he has four judges lined up: Judge Skanchy, Judge Dever, Judge Toomey, and Judge Trease.
(b) Quarterly Luncheons. Jonathan Haffen explained that he is working to line up an ethics panel for the next the next quarterly luncheon scheduled for December 12, 2007. Currently he is planning on using Judge Orme, Judge Royal Hansen, and Robert S. Clark. The February quarterly luncheon will involve Tim Shea discussing the state courts’ push for e-filing.
(c) Spring Convention. Keith Call reported on the Spring Convention. He explained that the Section wanted two presentations, but explained that Connie Howard would not commit to allowing the section to have two spots.
(d) Annual Convention. Sammi Anderson reported on the preparations for the annual convention. She is looking for possible keynote speakers. The Committee stated that Judge Himonas has some ideas for a breakout.
10. Trial Advocacy Awards. Michael Petrogeorge reported that he presented a scholarship from the Section at the U of U’s Trial Advocacy Awards banquet at the Little America Hotel. He reported that he was the only person who presented a scholarship.
11. Bench Books. Ryan Harris reported that there was nothing new regarding the Bench Books, but the Committee is continuing to seek information.
12. Section’s Website. Sammi Anderson and Dan Steele led a discussion regarding the website and reporting that there was nothing new, that they will still attempt to put together a request for proposal to have the website redesigned.
13. Law Student Relations. Tish Toomes reported on the “So You Want to Be a Litigator” presentation delivered at the S. J. Quinney law school. She explained that there was an enormous response and that the event was taped for those who could not participate because of other conflicts. She also discussed having topics for a law school student to present a litigation-related topic, but reported that no new topics had been presented.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 9:00 a.m. The next meeting will be on December 12, 2007.
Dated this 12th day of December, 2007.
For the Executive Committee
Ryan B. Frazier