Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for May 9, 2007
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present were:
- Sammi Anderson
- George Burbidge
- Jared Casper (by speakerphone)
- Lee Curtis
- Jon Hafen
- Ryan Harris
- Elaina Maragakis
- Mike Petrogeorge
- Dan Steele
Tish Toombs (attended the meeting on behalf of the law students of the University of Utah). Bryan Pattison, Wayne Klein, Willis Orton and Jackie Rogers were excused.
1. Minutes The minutes of the April meeting were reviewed and approved. Many thanks to Wayne Klein for taking the minutes.
2. Financial Report Dan Steele gave a report on the financial status of the Section. He reported that we have a current balance of $66,953.43. It was noted, however, that with NITA coming, we could expect this balance to drop.
3. Upcoming CLE Events
a. The May Quarterly Luncheon was scheduled for May 30, 2007. Hot Topics Facing Utah’s Judiciary. Chief Justice Durham was scheduled to present the topic. Ryan Harris reported that the revised Section Bylaws would be circulated in advance of the May Quarterly Luncheon and submitted to the Section for approval at the Luncheon.
b. NITA Trial Seminar. Ryan Harris reported that the seminar was ready to go and that 48 participants had enrolled.
c. Annual Convention. July 18-21, 2007. Sun Valley, Idaho. The Litigation Section break-out will consist of the Law and Economics Society presentation the Section has agreed to sponsor before. The panel will consist of Mark Glick and Magistrate Judge David Nuffer. The topic is Expert Discovery: What You Can and Cannot Get. Mike Petrogeorge reported that this break-out is ready to go.
d. Evening with the Third District. This event has been scheduled for October 30, 2007. George Burbidge has graciously agreed to moderate the panel. Panel members to be announced.
e. Utah County Golf CLE. Jared Casper and Dan Steele announced that this event has been scheduled to take place at Hobble Creek Canyon on September 14, 2007.
4. Law Day Newspaper Insert Ryan Harris reported that he was contacted by the Standing Committee on Judicial Outreach and informed that due to insufficient interest in the Law Day newspaper insert throughout the Bar, the Section donation was not warranted.
5. Election of Officers Ryan Harris reported that the officers would be nominated at the Executive
Committee Meeting on June 20, 2007. Ryan reported that the revised Section
Bylaws would be circulated and hopefully approved in advance. Section
membership is invited to attend and participate in the nomination and
election of officers of the Executive Committee of the Section.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 a.m. The next meeting will be on June 20, 2007.
Dated this 20th day of June, 2007.
For the Executive Committee