Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for March 11, 2009
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
- Sammi Anderson
- Tom Boyle
- Patrick Burt
- Keith Call
- Ryan Call (BYU Rep.)
- David Castleberry
- Christian W. Clinger
- Ryan B. Frazier
- Jonathan Hafen
- Ryan Harris
- Kent Holmberg
- Wayne Klein
- Dan Steele
- Ryan Wright (U of U Rep.)
Executive Committee members excused were:
- Elaina Maragakis
- Brian Pattison
- Isaac Paxman
- Michael Petrogeorge
- Patrick Turner
1. Minutes. The minutes of the February 11, 2009 meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Financial Report. Dan Steele reported that since the January meeting there has been only one expenditure charged to the Litigation Section’s account. Christian Clinger stated that the Bar Commission is going to be reviewing the financial policy of the Bar that should facilitate producing financials for the sections in a more expeditious manner. Dan also reported that he was informed by Richard Dibblee of the Bar that according to the Bar’s Bylaws, the interest on the Litigation Section’s portion of the bank account accrues to the Bar’s general fund and not to the Litigation Section. It was suggested that another appointment should be scheduled with Richard Dibblee to discuss these matters relating to the Section’s finances.
3. Budget. Wayne Klein reported that he anticipates presenting the budget to the Executive Committee at the May meeting, which would be voted on during the June meeting. He welcomes any suggestions to the budget.
4. Website. Dan Steele reported that the website is close to being finalized and that he is pleased with the website’s appearance. There are still a few small changes to be implemented before it can be rolled and be put on-line. He raised the issue of advertising and what should be charged to experts and others that want to advertise on the website. It was discussed that there could be premium spots and smaller spots that would just be links. Dan also recommended that the members of the committee should contact experts, court reporters, paralegals, and others providing services or litigation support relating to lawsuits to see if they wanted to advertise. In addition, a subcommittee was formed to maintain the content of the website once it is up and running. Kent Holmberg was placed in charge of that subcommittee. Tom Boyle, Patrick Berg, Ryan Card, and Ryan Frazier will be participating on that subcommittee.
5. "And Justice For All". Sammi Anderson reported that the Section is not able to use the interest from the Section’s portion of the account to make a donation to And Justice for All (as has been done in the past). The Executive Committee approved a $350.00 donation.
6. BYU Scholarships. Sammi Anderson reported on behalf of Issac Paxman who was not present. The Executive Committee approved fifteen hundred dollars ($1,500.00) as awards for the scholarships. Five hundred dollars ($500.00) was to be awarded to the two first place recipients, and two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) was to be awarded to the two second place winners. In addition, the Executive Committee approved a sufficient amount to cover the expenses associated with the trophies.
7. Quarterly Luncheon. Jonathan Hafen reported that the next quarterly luncheon was scheduled for March 31, 2009. The panel will be comprised of Judge Himonas, Sammi Anderson, and Ken Black. It will be on “Lesson Learned From Mentors”. Jonathan Hafen will moderate. The next quarterly luncheon in succession after the March 31 quarterly luncheon will feature Justice Durham speaking on the “State of the Judiciary”. It will likely be scheduled for April or early May. After that, the Litigation Section will host another quarterly luncheon focused on the new website.
8. Spring Convention. Ken Holmberg reported that everything is ready to go for the breakout sessions at the Spring Convention.
9. Annual Convention. Ryan Frazier reported that things are coming together for the Annual Convention. The Litigation Section will be in charge of two breakout sessions. Jonathan Hafen reported that the one breakout, which will regard the role of economics in litigation strategy, will be a panel discussion. The panel will be comprised of Judge Waddoups, Mark Glick, Judge Himonas, and George Tadoff. The second breakout will be on changes to the Rules of Civil Procedure. That panel will be comprised of Fran Wikstrom, Becky Corlin, and Jonathan Hafen.
10. Support State Court Judges. Although nothing new was raised, the committee discussed the recent confirmation of Mark DeCario as a Judge in the Second District.
11. Annual Ethics Symposium. Jonathan Hafen discussed the Annual Ethics Symposium that is scheduled for October 2009. He stated that the topic will be “Legal Ethics Goes to the Movies”.
12. Bench Books. Ryan Harris reported that the committee received a great bench book from Judge Kennedy, which will be posted on the website.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 8:55 a.m. The next meeting will be held on April 8, 2009, at 8:00 a.m.
Dated this ___ day of April, 2009.
For the Executive Committee
Ryan B. Frazier