Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for March 14, 2007
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present were:
- Sammi Anderson
- Bruce Badger
- Ryan Frazier
- Jon Hafen
- Ryan Harris
- Dan Steele
Tish Toombs attended the meeting on behalf of the law students at the University of Utah. Steven Owens attended the meeting as a liaison to the Bar Commission. Wayne Klein, Lee Curtis, Jackie Rogers, Bryan Pattison, Mike Petrogeorge and George Burbidge were excused.
1. Minutes. The minutes for the February meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Financial Report. Dan Steele gave a financial report. The Section remains fiscally sound.
3. Report on the Mid-year Convention. Ryan Frazier reported that the event went well. Lowrey Snow served as the moderator for the three-member panel of Fifth District Judges.
4. Report on Law School Outreach Event. Ryan Harris reported that the event was very well attended. He estimated that 40-50 law students attended, along with the deans from both law schools. Many thanks to Elaina Maragakis for her tireless efforts in putting this event together.
5. Trial Advocacy Awards. A discussion was had as to whether the winners of the Trial Advocacy competition at the University of Utah and Brigham Young University should receive an even award amount, or whether the award should be tiered based on first, second and third place. It was decided that there would be an even split among the winners this year. This amounts to a $500.00 award to each winner. The discussion as to whether to tier the awards in the future was tabled until next year. Ryan Harris will present the awards at both the University of Utah and Brigham Young University.
6. Report on Quarterly Luncheon. Jon Hafen reported that the Quarterly Luncheon was set to take place March 14, 2007, and that the event was ready to go.
7. Bylaw Revisions. Discussion was had as to whether the Section membership received the e-mail Ryan Harris sent alerting the membership that the bylaw revisions would be voted upon at the March 14, 2007 Quarterly Luncheon. Because there was some doubt among the Committee as to whether the e-mail was received by the Section membership, it was decided that the bylaw revisions would instead be voted upon at a Quarterly Luncheon in May 2007. Jon Hafen agreed to prepare the next Quarterly Luncheon to take place in May, rather than in June, as is the typical schedule.
8. NITA Trial Seminar. Ryan Harris reported that 28 participants were enrolled. The requirement for the program is 48 participants. Committee members agreed to discuss the NITA Trial Seminar with their firms and attempt to increase the participation. Jon Hafen also agreed to discuss the NITA Trial Seminar at the March 14, 2007 Quarterly Luncheon.
9. Funding Request.
a. The Committee voted to decline the funding request from the Appellate Practice Section for a CLE seminar concerning appeals from criminal convictions.
10. Litigation Section Website Blog. The Committee voted to table discussion regarding a possible blog until the next meeting.
11. Upcoming CLE Seminars
a. NITA Trial Seminar - May 16-19, 2007. Salt Palace. Approximately 20 more participants are currently needed.
b. May 2007 Quarterly Luncheon/Section Vote on Bylaw Revisions - TBA.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:48.
Dated this 11th day of April, 2007.
For the Executive Committee