Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for June 11, 2008
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, June 11, 2008, at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
- Gary Anderson
- George Burbidge
- Keith Call
- Lee Curtis
- Ryan Frazier
- Ryan Harris
- Jonathan Hafen
- Wayne Klein
- Elaina Maragakis
- Bryan Pattison
- Isaac Paxman
- Michael Petrogeorge
- Dan Steele
- Patrick Tanner
Executive Committee members excused were:
- Sammi Anderson
- R. Willis Orton
1. Minutes. The minutes of the May 14, 2008 meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Financial and Budget Report. Dan Steele reported that the bar has made efforts to provide the detail that the Executive Committee has requested on the financial reports. He reported that the Section would have to spend $3,000 more dollars to go into the red. He also reported that the Section will have a new influx of money in August 2008.
3. Ideas for New CLE and Other Presentations. The Executive Committee discussed various ideas for new CLE presentations. Wayne Klein proposed a discussion on how morals can be applied to the law. He referred to a Florida presentation that compared Talmudic law with American law. Jonathan Hafen discussed having an activity similar to the Evening with the Third District that involves the Federal Judges. Jonathan Hafen volunteered to talk to Louise York about having this activity in October.
4. Upcoming CLE Events.
a. Annual CLE Ethics Symposium. Jonathan Hafen discussed the CLE Ethics Symposium that the Section is to co-sponsor with BYU. This event will be held on August 27, and the Section has approved a $1,500 co-sponsorship. The cost for participants will be $100, but Section members will receive a discount of $20 to register.
b. Annual Convention. Sammi Anderson reported that everything is ready for the Annual Convention. Sammi will attend to make certain that everything runs smoothly.
c. Quarterly Luncheon. Jonathan Hafen reported that the next Quarterly Luncheon will be on the Utah Legislature’s recent changes to the statute on judicial retention and
separation of powers. Judge Stott will present as the representative of the judiciary as he was involved in this issue. Senator Bell will participate as the representative of the legislature, and Bob Yeates will participate as the representative of the Governor’s office.
d. Fall Forum. Jonathan Hafen reported that the Fall Forum Committee has had a meeting in which the Section was allocated a full track. Clark Waddoups and Fran Wikstrom, along with others, will discuss taking a case from beginning to end. They will focus on conflicts, whether to take a case, and how to develop a case theory early in the lawsuit.
e. Logan Golf and CLE. Dan Steele reported that Kevin Fife of Olson & Hoggan will present. The event will take place either August 8 or August 29. Dan reported that is should be focused on the basics of the Rules of Civil Procedure. Gary Anderson noted that this is a perfect topic because there is a large recent influx of new attorneys.
4. Supporting State Court Judges. A discussion on this issue was tabled.
5. Proposed Sponsorship of Clarence Darrow-Type CLE. It was reported that a speaker and topic have yet to be finalized.
6. Bench Books. A discussion on this issue was tabled.
7. Municipal Court Judges. Michael Petrogeorge reported that he had received an email from Jeff Shields expressing concern about Municipal Justice Courts, such as how they are accountable to the City, not to the Governor or the Judicial Conduct Commission. Mike suggested that the Committee inquire with Justice Durham about this issue.
8. Reception for Law Students. The Executive Committee discussed having a reception for law students. This event is best held in the fall, and the Section will inquire with the law schools about possible dates. Elaina Maragakis volunteered to take charge of this event.
9. BYU Law School Representative. The Executive Committee needs to find a new representative for BYU. This person should attend the August 2008 Executive Committee meeting.
10. Nomination and Election of Officers. Sammi Anderson will serve as the Chair of the Executive Committee for the 2008-2009 term. Wayne Klein will serve at the Chair-Elect. Ryan Frazier will serve as the Secretary. Dan Steele will serve as the Treasurer. Appreciation was expressed by the Executive Committee for the service of Michael Petrogeorge as the Chair of the Execution Committee for the 2007-2008 term.
The meeting adjourned at 8:55 a.m. The next meeting will be held on August 13, 2008.
Dated this ___ day of August, 2008.
For the Executive Committee
Ryan B. Frazier