Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for June 20, 2007
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present were:
- Sammi Anderson
- George Burbidge
- Keith Call
- Lee Curtis
- Ryan Frazier
- Ryan Harris
- Wayne Klein
- Willis Orton
- Isaac Paxman
- Mike Petrogeorge
- Patrick Tanner
A welcome was extended to Isaac Paxman, Keith Call and Patrick Tanner. They attended their first Executive Committee Meeting today in response to the notice sent to the Section. Elaina Maragakis, Jon Hafen, Bruce Badger, Jared Casper and Bryan Pattison were excused.
1. Minutes The minutes of the May meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Financial Report Dan Steele could not attend the meeting. Ryan Harris reported the Section has an approximate $62,000.00 balance before NITA expenses are charged.
3. May Quarterly Luncheon Ryan Harris reported that Chief Justice Durham presented the May Quarterly Luncheon on Hot Topics Facing the Judiciary. Ryan reported that the turnout was good. Ryan also reported that the Bylaws were unanimously approved by the membership at the Quarterly Luncheon.
4. NITA Trial Seminar Wayne Klein reported that this event was attended by 42-43 students, meaning there were 5-6 cancellations in the end. Wayne reported that the National Faculty was very complimentary of the Utah State Bar in general. Many thanks to Connie Howard for coordinating such a pleasant experience for our national NITA faculty advisors. Wayne also reported that the national faculty had high praise for the Utah faculty in this year’s seminar. The Committee discussed the possibility of conducting a NITA specialty seminar on the off-year of the NITA Trial Seminar. Ryan Harris reported that the Section lost in the range of $3,200-$3,400 on the event, and that two scholarships were awarded. Ryan Frazier reported that he found the seminar very helpful as an attendee.
5. Upcoming CLE Events
a. Annual Convention. July 18-21, 2007. Sun Valley, Idaho. This event is ready to go.
b. Utah County Golf CLE. This event has been scheduled for September 14, 2007.
c. Evening with the Third District. This event has been scheduled for October 30, 2007. George Burbidge reported that Judge Denise Lindberg, Dino Himonas and Judge Mark Kouris will sit on the panel.
6. Benchbooks Ryan Harris reported there were no new benchbooks added.
7. Admission of New Members to Committee Isaac Paxman, Patrick Tanner and Keith Call were admitted to the Executive Committee. A warm welcome is extended to each.
8. Nomination and Election of Officers Michael Petrogeorge will serve as the Chair of the Executive Committee for the 2007-2008 term. Sammi Anderson will serve at the Chair-Elect. Ryan Frazier will serve as the Secretary. Dan Steele will serve as the Treasurer. In the event that Dan no longer wishes to serve as the Treasurer, George Burbidge was provisionally elected to fill that office.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:56 a.m. The next meeting will be on August 8, 2007.
Dated this 8th day of August, 2007.
For the Executive Committee