Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes for January 10, 2007
Litigation Section Executive Committee
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present were:
- Sammi Anderson
- Bruce Badger
- Lee Curtis
- Ryan Frazier
- Jon Hafen
- Ryan Harris
- Wayne Klein
- Elaina Maragakis
- Bryan Pattison (by speakerphone)
- Mike Petrogeorge
- Jackie Rogers
- Dan Steele
George Burbidge, Jared Casper and Willis Orton were excused. Bar Commissioner Stephen Owens attended as a liaison from the Bar Commission
1. Minutes The minutes were reviewed and approved.
2. Financial Report Dan Steele provided a full financial report. The Committee reviewed the costs and revenue associated with both the Utah County Golf CLE and St. George Golf CLE.
3. Trial Advocacy Awards Dan Steele agreed to contact BYU and Mike Petrogeorge agreed to contact the U of U. Both will report back next month.
4. Bar Commission’s Proposed Amendments to the Section’s Proposed Bylaw Provisions The Committee reviewed the Bar Commission’s proposed amendments and voted to adopt those amendments as proposed. The Section Bylaw revisions should be approved at the next Bar Commission meeting.
5. Mid-Year Convention Ryan Frazier reported that the Litigation Section has one break-out on Saturday, March 10 from 11:30 to 12:30. Ryan has lined up three panel members to discuss judges’s courtroom preferences. They are Judge Michael Westfall, Judge James L. Shumate and retired Judge Jasper Philip Eves. Ryan reported that we are still looking for a moderator, and the Committee provided several suggestions. The Committee decided to raffle the gift certificate for green fees at The Ledges left over from the St. George Golf CLE event at the Saturday break-out session. Ryan will discuss advertising with Connie.
6. Upcoming Quarterly Luncheon Jon Hafen reported that the courtroom clerks that will sit on the panel have been selected and notified. The luncheon will take place in February 2007. The event will be advertised to the Litigation Section, as well as to other Third District courtroom clerks who may wish to attend.
7. Technical Issues A discussion was had regarding the technical issue the Committee has encountered in attempting to communicate with the Section at large. Stephen Owens volunteered to invite Lincoln Mead and Brook Bruno to the next Committee meeting so that a dialogue may be had as to these issues and as to potential solutions.
8. Governmental Relations Committee Mike Petrogeorge reported on his attendance at the Governmental Relations Committee Meeting. Senate Bill No. 91 proposes significant revisions to the Utah Uniform Commercial Code. Both the Corporate and Transactional Sections at the Bar have also been invited to review these revisions. Mike agreed to follow up and insure that a Section with banking and regulating expertise also considers the revisions. House Bill No. 44 addresses issues concerning voluntary arbitration of disputes. The Committee voted to decline to take a position on House Bill No. 44.
9. Law School Outreach Event Elaina Maragakis reported that the event has been scheduled for March 6, 2007 at 5:00 p.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center. Elaina reported that Deans from both law schools plan to attend, and that all members of the judiciary and Bar Commission will be invited. The tentative agenda will be to introduce Bar personnel like Connie Howard and Joni Seko to the first year law students. Suggestions were also made that this would be a good opportunity to introduce the Young Lawyers Division to law students.
10. NITA Trial Seminar May 16-19, 2007 at the Salt Lake Palace Convention Center. Ryan Harris reported that advertising is underway. The Committee discussed offering early registration to previous attendees.
11. Benchbooks Ryan Harris reported that no new benchbooks have been added.
12. Benchbook Website Advertising Elaina Maragakis suggested that the Committee commission magnets or post-it notes showing the benchbook website address. Elaina agreed to look into the costs associated with this.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:03 a.m.
Dated this 14th day of February, 2007.
For the Executive Committee