Feedback  |  Contact Us

Related Links

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes for February 11, 2009

PDF Version

The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, February 11, 2009, at 8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.

Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:

  • George Burbidge
  • David Castleberry
  • Ryan B. Frazier
  • Ryan Harris
  • Kent Holmberg
  • Wayne Klein
  • Elaina Maragakis
  • Isaac Paxman
  • Michael Petrogeorge
  • Peter Schofield
  • Dan Steele (Conducting)
  • Patrick Tanner
  • Ryan Wright (U of U Rep.)

Executive Committee members excused were:

  • Gary Anderson
  • Sammi Anderson
  • Tom Boyle
  • Patrick Burt
  • Keith Call
  • Christian W. Clinger
  • Jonathan Hafen

Visitors attending were:

  • Justin Wilde

1. Minutes. The minutes of the January 14, 2009 meeting were reviewed and approved

2. Financial Report. Dan Steele reported that Sammi Anderson, Wayne Klein, Connie Howard, Jeff Eisenberg, and Dan Steele met to discuss various issues relating to the Section’s finances and reporting, including the issue of calculating the Section’s portion of the interest.  During that meeting, two errors in charges were noted and were to be corrected.  In the future, all Section charges will be run by Connie Howard to make certain that there are not any mistaken charges.

3. "And Justice For All". Dan Steele reported that the interest rate is currently running under one percent and that in the past it has been higher.  At this point there is no significant interest for us to donate to And Justice For All.  The Committee will work with Christian Clinger to work this out.  The issue on the donation was tabled for now.

4. Government Relations Committee. Wayne Klein reported that the Government Relations Committee met to discuss various bills that affect the Utah State Bar.  Some of the keys bills on which the bar is focusing concern a prohibition on attorneys fees not provided for by statute, state legislators having direct contact with judges, acceptance of foreign declarations, increasing court filing fees, and a proposed amendment to the Utah Constitution to limit convictions that can be challenged.

5. Quarterly Luncheon. Jonathan Hafen reported on the next Quarterly Luncheon to the Committee by email.  In that email, he reported that a date has not yet been finalized, but he is currently looking at the first week in March.  Jonathan hopes to have the lunch only partially focused on the formal mentoring program.  He also will have several lawyers and judges discussing lessons learned from a mentor.

6. Spring Convention. Kent Holmberg reported that everything is ready to go for the Spring Convention.

7. Annual Convention. Ryan Frazier reported that the Section will have two breakout sessions.  One breakout will use Mark Glick’s group and focus on the use of economic experts.  The second breakout will focus on changes to the Utah Rules of Civil Procedure.  The panels for both breakouts are being put together.  Ryan reported that he is currently working with Jonathan Hafen to get those arranged.  The Litigation Section will also have a booth at the Annual Convention at which the Section can roll out its new website.

8. Clarence Darrow Type CLE. Nothing is currently happening with this proposed event.  For now, this proposed CLE will be taken off the Agenda, and the issue tabled.

9. Supporting State Court Judges. It was reported that no follow up meetings have been scheduled with Judge Durham, but that the Committee plans to do so in the future.

10. Bench Books. Ryan Harris reported that Judge McVey now has a bench book on the Section’s website.  He also reported that there were a flurry of emails to judges last month to get them on board.

11. Law Student Relations. Isaac Paxman discussed how to link practitioners with students.  He reported that they are looking into a web­­‑based program that someone would have to administer.  Practitioners would be able to post topics and then law school students would have a topic bank from which to draw.  A subcommittee was formed to develop this, which included Ryan White, Isaac Paxman, David Castleberry, and Kent Holmberg.

12. Web Site. Dan Steele and Justin Wilde reported on the web site.  Justin stated that he is still seeking a high resolution copy of the logo.  He stated that they are closer to going on line and that he will meet with the subcommittee soon for the needed content.

The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:10 a.m.  The next meeting will be held on March 11, 2009, at 8:00 a.m.

Dated this 11th day of February, 2009.

For the Executive Committee

_________________________________________
Ryan B. Frazier
Secretary