Feedback  |  Contact Us

Related Links

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes for August 11, 2010

Litigation Section Executive Committee
Minutes for August 11, 2010
The Executive Committee of the Litigation Section met on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at
8:00 a.m. at the Utah Law & Justice Center in Salt Lake City.
Executive Committee members present or participating by telephone were:
• George Burbidge
• Patrick Burt
• Keith Call
• Ryan Frazier
• Kent Holmberg
• Wayne Klein
• Judge Denise
Lindberg
• Isaac Paxman
• Emily Smith
• Dan Steele
• Patrick Tanner
Executive Committee members excused were:
• Sammi Anderson
• David Castleberry
• Jon Hafen
• Randall Jeffs
• Elaina Maragakis
• Bryan Pattison
1. Minutes: Minutes of the June 9, 2010 meeting were reviewed and approved.
2. Treasurer’s Report: Ryan Frazier has not received financial information since June 1, so there
was no financial report.
3. CLE Report:
a. Dan Steele read Jon Hafen’s report on the upcoming CLE Quarterly Lunch scheduled for
the end of September, 2010. The topic will be the proposed changes in the Utah Rules of
Civil Procedure.
b. Dan Steele requested someone help Jon Hafen with the Fall Forum. Keith Call rose to the
occasion and offered to contact Jon and offer to help.
c. George Burbidge reported on the Utah Bar Annual Convention. The Litigation Section’s
breakout sessions were well attended and well received.
d. Keith Call reported on two scheduled Golf and CLE events:
The first will be at Birch Creek in Logan on September 10th. Janet Smith will give a
presentation about the proposed amended rules and a panel of three experienced mediators
will discuss effective advocacy. The third hour will address ethical issues regarding
mediation using case studies.
The second event will be on September 17th in Utah County. Judge Pullen will discuss the
proposed amended rules. The second hour will be a judge’s panel and the third hour will be
on ethics. We are still looking for a third panelist. Ryan Frazier offered to talk with Tony
Schofield if needed. Keith Call will talk with Connie to make sure the program receives
ethics credit.
4. Report on Court Volunteer Program: Wayne Klein reported that there was not much new with
the court volunteer program. There are currently about a dozen volunteers and work is being done
to place them in chambers and in training for the court assistance program. Wayne reported that
this program has had good, but not overwhelming success.
2
5. Law Student Relations Committee: Isaac Paxman reported we have a note in the Bar Journal
calling for topics. Over next few months will work on getting the word out to the two Utah law
schools. Isaac will work on BYU and asked for someone to contact the U faculty and students to
get the word out. Isaac will also make changes to the website text to make it more closely match
the way the project has evolved. The most important thing is to get ideas, even if they are rough.
Ideas for research will be posted anonymously so ideas do not need to be polished. Ideas will be
posted on website. If a student wants to claim that topic they will send an email and we can then
take the topic off or note that it has been taken, and will keep the website up to date. Isaac asked
for help and Kent Holmberg volunteered without waiting for an uncomfortable silence to follow
the request. Isaac said that his plan is to get an article in the fall Utah Bar Journal soliciting more
topics then roll the program out in the fall so that law students can access the research issues
practitioners have suggested.
6. Web Site Committee: Kent Holmberg forwarded reports to the committee showing traffic to the
website. The 12 month moving average is slightly below 1,000/month. We got a bump right after
we sent a notice that the website existed and we might want to announce the website again. Dan
Steele asked about getting more post-it notes printed and handing them out at CLE. Dan proposed
that at every CLE we have for the rest of the year, have whoever is conducting put a plug in for the
website including bench books and the research topics and suggest that people write topics on the
post it note and hand it in at the event. Dan asked Patrick Burt to get pricing on post it notes
including slightly larger sizes.
Dan noted that the advertising on our website has gone nowhere. There is not a single advertiser.
Wayne Klein offered to be the first. Patrick Burt said he has a couple people that are interested.
Dan asked about making it free for the first year to get people on the site then charge after a year.
Isaac suggested making it super cheap for the initial period. Patrick Burt will make a report next
meeting so that we can get some advertisers on the site. Patrick will also send the committee a
summary of pricing.
7. Honor and Glory for Wayne Klein: Dan Steele noted that at our last meeting we voted to do
something nice for Wayne Klein. Dan has been on the committee for about 10 years and Wayne is
the only one who has been here longer than Dan has. Wayne has been a faithful member of the
committee. Wayne did a great job as chair of the Section and started several great programs.
Wayne was also treasurer for many years. Dan presented Wayne with a beautiful plaque and a gift
certificate to the Stein Erickson lodge. Dan asked him to report to the Committee before the end of
the year on his trip. Dan expressed gratitude from the Committee for Wayne’s service and asked
for his continued support.
Adjourned at 8:45.
Next Meeting: September 8, 2010.
For the Executive Committee
_/s/____________________________
George W. Burbidge II, Secretary