As a service to Litigation Section members, Opinion Watch flags recent opinions of the Utah Supreme Court and Court of Appeals that will likely be of interest to litigators, and summarizes their key points soon after they are issued. Please check back at least once a month to review the newly posted summaries below and stay current on Utah law!
Contributing to Opinion Watch are Litigation Section Executive Committee members Richard Kaplan and Heather Sneddon, as well as other lawyers at Anderson & Karrenberg.
Utah Supreme Court
- Plain Error, Waiver and Estoppel, and Contract Interpretation: Meadow Valley Contractors, Inc. v. State of Utah Dept. of Transp., July 12, 2011
- Condemnation, Utah Code § 78B-6-501 and Statutory Construction: Marion Energy, Inc. v. KFJ Ranch P’ship, July 12, 2011
- Guarantees: Park v. Stanford, July 22, 2011
- Claim Preclusion: Allen v. Moyer, July 29, 2011
- Judgment Liens Held by Lawyers: Pyper v. Bond, July 29, 2011
Utah Court of Appeals
- Intervention and Standing to Join: Skypark Airport Ass’n, LLC v. Jensen, July 14, 2011
- URCP 60(b) and a Caution to Lawyers: Harrison v. Thurston, July 14, 2011
- Securitization of Mortgage Debts and Utah Code § 57-1-35: Commonwealth Prop. Advocates, LLC v. Mortgage Elec. Registration Sys., Inc., July 14, 2011