Feedback  |  Contact Us

Related Links

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes for May 8, 2013

PDF Version

Present: George Burbidge, David Castleberry, Heather Thuet, Hon. Stephen Roth, Hon. Kate
Toomey, Rod Andreason, Shane Gosdis, Jon Hafen, Michael Stahler, Dan Steele and Jenifer Tomchak
.
By phone: Bryan Pattison.

Excused:
Ryan Frazier, Hon. Denise P. Lindberg, Keith Call, Christian Hansen, Randall Jeffs and
Christian Kesselring.

1. Chair’s Report: George Burbidge announces the annual meeting will be June 12 at which time
elections will be held, committee assignments made, and new members invited to join the
committee.

2. Secretary’s Report: Minutes from the April meeting were presented by Heather Thuet.
Following motion to approve made by Judge Toomey, seconded by Dan Steele, the minutes
were unanimously approved by the committee.

3. Treasurer’s report: David Castleberry reports that due to construction at the bar, Meghan Facer
has been unable to provide updated financials.

4. CLE
a. Golf & CLE: Dan Steele informs committee that the Golf CLE’s are well under $4,000
budget.
b. GAL: Judge Toomey reports that event held on Tuesday April 16 was well attended and
expresses appreciation to Kirton & McConkie for hosting event and Keith Call for
coordinating it. Jen Tomchak states it was standing room only and encourages executive
committee members attending the summer convention to sit at litigation section table
to promote section and its efforts.
c. Quarterly Lunches:
i. 2013 Q2: Joe Stulz, not present. George Burbidge to follow up to offer support
in putting together professionalism and civility CLE.
ii. 2013 Q3: Remains unfilled. David Castleberry inquired whether Isaac Paxman
would be willing to convert Q3 Rise & Shine presentation (Farewell to Judge J.
Thomas Greene & to Welcome Judge Robert J. Shelby) to quarterly luncheon.
George Burbidge to explore possibility with Isaac.
iii. 2013 Q4: Discussion tabled until June meeting re: Kent Holmberg’s proposal
that a panel of retired judges be invited to share their insight.
d. Rise & Shine
i. 2013 Q2: Michael Stahler reports that panel for Crafting Effective Written
Discovery Under the New Rules is comprised of Bryan Larsen and Tristan Smith
and is scheduled for June 13. Michael reports that Judge Stone is unavailable
and invites committee suggestions. Judge Toomey recommends an invitation
be extended to Judge Blanch.
ii. 2013 Q3: Heather Thuet notes that presentation by U of U Professor Jerry
Gardner on Perfecting Presentation Skills is confirmed for September 10.
iii. 2013 Q4: Shane Gosdis will report at June meeting.
e. Third District Judicial Reception: David Castleberry announces event will be held on
August 21 with the social hour from 5-6 pm and the CLE from 6-8. Judges Hansen,
Harris, Stone and Blanch have confirmed.
f. Second District Judicial Reception: Jen Tomchak will report once Davis County bar has
set the date for October event.
g. Southern Utah Federal Law Symposium: Jon Hafen advises that event starts tomorrow
on May 9 and goes to the 11, 2013. Nine federal judges are presenting with key note by
Judge Tom Griffith from D.C. Circuit. Thus far, 100 have registered for event.
h. Trial Academy: May 16–17, 2013. Michael Stahler notes that first day of event sold out
before brochure went out. He encourages committee members to attend Thursday
night reception.
i. Summer Convention: Jon Hafen reports event will be held July 17-20, 2013 and is all set
and will be great.
j. Fall Forum (November 14-15, 2013): Jon Hafen will report at June meeting.
k. Modest Means (April 11, 2013): Jen Tomchak was pleased to report that Modest Means
Kick Off event was success and has met goal of 100 recruits. The event was well
attended and the litigation section panel, comprised of George Burbidge, Keith Call,
Isaac Paxman, Rod Andreason and Heather Thuet, was great.

5. Technology Report: Dan Steele raised concern that events are not being posted on section
website. Discussion was held and it was decided that Technology Committee Chair is
responsible to post events and that committee members need to send details of upcoming
events to Technology Chair. Shane Gosdis will update committee in June after he has met with
Summer.

6. Bench books: David Castleberry has been making progress and Judge Toomey has continued to
encourage judges to provide information to update their bench books.

7. Newsletter: Deferred to June meeting.

8. Law Student Relations: Isaac Paxman advises that trophies have been purchased.

9. Membership: Rod Andreason and Kent Holmberg are working on a letter to send out to bar
before license renewals go out in June encouraging renewal of membership in section.

Meeting adjourned at 8:44 am.
Meeting minutes approved June 12, 2013.
For the Executive Committee
/s/ Heather L. Thuet
Secretary
____________________________