Feedback  |  Contact Us

Related Links

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes for May 9, 2012

PDF Version

The Executive Committee members who were present or participating by telephone were: Kent Holmberg, George Burbidge, David Castleberry, Bryan Pattison, Jen Tomchak, Randall Jeffs, Jon Hafen, Heather Thuet, Patrick Tanner, Rick Kaplan, Judge Roth, Joe Stultz, Dan Steele, Isaac Paxman, and Nicole Farrell.

The Executive Committee members who were excused were: Judge Toomey, Heather Sneddon, Patrick Burt, and Keith Call.

1. Secretary's Report: David Castleberry circulated minutes from the previous meeting. The committee reviewed and approved the minutes.
2. Treasurer's Report: George Burbidge passed out financial information for March and April of this year. George Burbidge was able to follow up with the bar regarding questions he had about past expenses for various CLE presentations and seminars, and he said he was satisfied with the explanations. For example, a $1,500 miscellaneous program expense was for the litigation section's participation in the ADR Academy. Jon Hafen asked when the money from dues shows up in the section's bank account, and George Burbidge said the money from dues typically arrives in August. George Burbidge said that the section's finances appear to be in good order, and that the section is a few thousand dollars ahead of where it was last year.
3. Chair Report: Next month's meeting will be the section's annual meeting. Jon Hafen reminded David Castleberry that we need to get an announcement about the annual meeting out to the membership of the section, and that it needs to be sent via email. The section also discussed inviting others in the section to serve on new committees that are being created for membership and technology. Jon Hafen discussed the fact that Kent Holmberg will chair the membership committee, and that we will need to have a new chair for the website/technology committee.
4. CLE:
a. Quarterly Lunches: The last quarterly luncheon was with Justice Lee where he presented on judicial activism and judicial restraint. The CLE was very well attended.
b. Rise & Shine CLE: The next Rise and Shine CLE is set for May 30, 2012, and it will be on appellate issues. Jon Hafen would like to make sure it is getting promoted with email and postcards. Keith Call reported via email that he is working on the third quarter CLE, and that it will be about budgeting in litigation, which is a timely topic based on the new Utah Rules of Civil Procedure.
c. Golf & CLE: Dan Steele said he is looking for suggestions for CLE topics. Isaac Paxman suggested a CLE about efiling in state court. Utah County Golf and CLE is scheduled to be on September 7, 2012; the CLE will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Springville Museum of Art, and golf will begin at 1:30 p.m at Hobble Creek. Salt Lake County is scheduled to be on August 10, 2012 at Stoneridge Golf Club. Dan is working on getting topics and presenters. Dan is still working on setting up a date and place for the Cache County Golf and CLE. Dan will contact Christian Hansen in July for his help. Dan would like to do this event in either August or the first week of October. The Golf and CLE Event for Washington County is scheduled for Oct. 19 at the Ledges Golf Course.
d. Annual Meeting: Heather Thuet reported that everything is set. The presentation will be on the new Utah Rules of Civil Procedure.
e. Fall Forum & Trial Seminar: Patrick Tanner attended a meeting about a week ago for the Fall Forum. Patrick assured the committee that the space problem for the section's CLE presentations should not be a problem because the presentations will now be in the ball room. Jon Hafen will work with Patrick on putting together the trial seminar and CLE presentations.
f. Southern Utah Federal Law Symposium: Jon Hafen said that the event went well. The CLE presentation was fantastic from the Clerk of the U.S. Supreme Court, and the golf was good, too. Dan Steele noted for the record that his golf team tied for last, and he said that his team's finish proves that he does not always win golf events he enters. Dan's ready admission of his last place finish could be an attempt at sandbagging the unwary.
5. Newsletter: Nicole is waiting on the president's message, notable decisions, campus notes, and a write up about Justice Lee's presentation at the quarterly luncheon. Deadline is May 14, 2012 for article submissions. Nicole would like to get the newsletter out by May 18, 2012. The committee discussed advertising for the newsletter. The income from advertising could be split with good causes such as And Justice for All and/or Books for Barristers. No decisions on advertising prices were made, and Nicole said that she could look into that.
6. Law Student Relations Committee: Isaac Paxman said that he is getting word out about the litigation section's paper bank. We have received no submission of papers yet. Jon Hafen suggested holding an event in Utah County during the fall of this year, and an event in Salt Lake County in the spring of next year for law students and new members of the litigation section. The events should not be near finals. Jon asked Isaac Paxman to touch base with the law school reps to get ideas for these events. The committee discussed putting on events at the law schools to let students know about the litigation section. If we hold an event and have pizza there, students will probably show up. We could hold a CLE event at the law school, and invite the students to attend for free.
7. Membership Committee: George Burbidge said that the committee needs to focus on retaining new attorneys by having an event and retention efforts geared to new attorneys. Jen Tomchak suggested a CLE involving an introduction to the state court system. We could hold an event for the U of U students in the Third District and an event for BYU students in the Fourth District. The section suffers a significant drop out rate after the first year of free membership. The committee should contact new members before the first year ends to explain the value of section membership. Kent Holmberg suggested that the committee focus on a public relations campaign explaining the value proposition of section membership so we can retain the members we have. There are about 7000 to 8000 members of the bar, and only 1800 litigation section members. The section needs to do a better job explaining that the value of section membership is well worth the $30 dues considering the CLE and other events to which members have access.
8. Website: Kent Holmberg said that 5% of our page views are from mobile devices. The section discussed holding a CLE event about best practices with lawyers and technology, especially with cloud computing more and more available. Judge Roth said that the courts are now going to a google apps email system.
9. Bench Books: The section website has been updated. We have contacted judges about getting bench books in a letter.

Adjourned at 9:05 a.m.
Next Meeting June 13, 2012.
For the Executive Committee
____________________________